Old Trafford evacuated after suspect package discovered

Old Trafford evacuated after suspect package discovered

Coleen Rooney thanked well-wishers for their concern after a suspect package forced the evacuation of Manchester United’s Old Trafford stadium. The Manchester United WAG was at the ground to watch husband Wayne playing for the team’s final match of the season againt Bournemouth. The game was called off after the discovery of a suspect package – which was later blown up in a controlled explosion. Police confirmed that the device was a phone which was connected to a pipe inside the stadium.

Mum-of-three Coleen tweeted: “We are out of the stadium fine thank you for asking, and it looks like most people are. Hopefully everything and everyone is ok.”

The announcement was made at around 2.40pm by security personnel to invoke ‘red code operation’ and it soon became apparent the Stretford End and Sir Alex Ferguson Stand were being evacuated.

Shortly after 3.15pm, those remaining in the ground were informed the game was off after which an Army bomb disposal unit was seen arriving at the stadium.

The Premier League later issued a statement saying the match – which could have been crucial for Champions League play-off qualification – would be rearranged for “as soon as practically possible”.

In a statement Greater Manchester Police said: “A controlled explosion has been carried out by bomb disposal experts within the stadium at Old Trafford.”

Coleen Rooney ha ringraziato i tifosi per la loro preoccupazione dopo che un pacco sospetto ha costretto l’evacuazione dell’ Old Trafford. La WAG di Liverpool era allo stadio per  veder il marito Wayne giocare nell’ultima partita della stagione contro il Bournemouth. Tutto è stato sospeso dopo la scoperta di un pacco sospetto – che è stato poi fatto saltare in aria con una esplosione controllata. La polizia ha confermato che il dispositivo era collegato ad un telefono cellulare all’interno dello stadio.

Mamma di tre bambini, Coleen ha twittato:

L’annuncio è stato dato intorno alle 14:40 dal personale di sicurezza come ‘operazione codice rosso’ ed è stato subito chiaro che si procedeva all’evaquazione.

Poco dopo 3:15, è stato chiaro che si trattava di una bomba. La Premier League in seguito ha rilasciato una dichiarazione dicendo che il match – che avrebbe potuto essere fondamentale per la qualificazione play-off di Champions League – sarebbe stato riorganizzato al più presto possibile.

La polizia ha poi confermato: “Un’esplosione controllata è stata effettuata da esperti artificieri all’interno dello stadio Old Trafford.”


Share This Post